Malasada day and needing quiet time…

The past couple of days there have been new families arrive here at the White Sands Village for Easter break.  And, each of the families must have two or three screamers with them and they were all in the pool together today.  Needing a little peace and quiet we decided on an outing for Malasadas and lunch today at the Punalu'u Bakery, which is advertised as the southern most bakery in America.  We were thankful it was open after that long drive, and it was doing a fair trade today. I think it's become a destination stop off on the way to Volcano National Park.  There were no tour busses in there when we arrived so we found an outdoor table and chairs and had something to eat and bought a couple malasadas each!  For those who don't know, a malasada is a Portuguese donut of sorts.  So many flavours, fillings, and kinds.  Barb had a couple of apple turnover pastries, I had one vanilla filled and one mango flavour malasada!  I know, I know, I shouldn't be eating sugary high carb stuff but heck, we are on holidays and my blood sugar is in an ok range right now!   Barb is the designated driver right now as my hand is out of commission more or less!  She also is card shuffler and dish washer and dryer!  It could be worse I guess……😳!  I'm very grateful.


Driving southward we experienced a few rain showers coming down the side of Mauna Loa.  We have yet to see the tops of either Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea volcanos on this trip.  Both have been shrouded in clouds.  There is not much activity happening right now.  Pele is resting!  Also no *VOG right now either which is nice.  It's interesting how the landscape can change so quickly from desolate lava covered ground to green lush trees and plants.  Just the nature of the island.  (* Vog is volcanic smog, a visible haze comprised of gas and an aerosol of tiny particles and acidic droplets created when sulfur dioxide (SO2) and other gases escape from a volcano). 

This photo was on highway 11 headed to the southern part of the island with a little drizzle to welcome us.


When we arrived home, about 11 or more screeching screaming kids were in the pool! Yes, screaming top of the lungs.  Now both Barb and I have had kids and we are used to kids chatter but not the piercing screeching noises these lot were making and it was both little boys and girls.  Anyway, I guess they were having fun trying to drown each other or something…! 

There are so many things blooming right now as one drives around the island, and growing vines hanging from trees, the roadside grasses grow huge, or are they remnants of sugar cane that used to be a crop on the island?  There are many trees blooming with beautiful white, deep pink, purple or orange blooms.  A feast for the eyes!

Tonight Barb and I had another few games of rummy!  The answer is no I have not won a game yet!  The luck is not with me right now so this tells me I should be thankful I'm not a gambler or my losing streak would be very costly!  I have not given up hope yet, we are here for three more days!!  Please wish me luck!  Ok, off to our beds for the night.  Tomorrow we must go to one of the ABC stores as Barb needs to cash in her purchase receipts for a free gift!  Then tomorrow evening we are headed to Sam Choys Restaurant for dinner! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kauai Hawaii

Feet keep on walking more shopping to do

Do we ‘have to’ leave?