Josh and I on a tour bus to see the volcano. This photo is now two years old, but technology works and it posted this from my pictures on my iPad! Success.
Have you ever wondered which Island people are referring to when they say they are going to Hawaii? Me too. Turns out "The Big Island" is actually Hawaii, but because it is the largest in the archipelago, they (in the archipelago) are referred to as the Hawaiian Islands. Currently my friend Val (who met me in Honolulu upon my return from Australia) and I are on the oldest island in the chain, Kauai. It rains here more than the other islands, and is therefore known as the Garden Isle. So green, lush and beautiful. We are right beside the ocean in a condo for a couple weeks and the sound of the ever rolling surf, the tall waving palm tree outside our door, the sun and birds of many varieties, including the islands feral chickens and roosters. The chickens are a master class in introduced animals. Thousands of feral chickens roam the island with no natural predators. Go to this website for info on how these chickens came to...
January 12th, 2018
Josh and I woke this morning to our iPhones bzzzzing loudly. Confusing, but then sometimes we have practice announcements. I got up and looked and what do I see but an Emergency Alert, all bold letters….saying….BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.
So said to Josh, please get up and check your phone, sure enough he had the same message. My immediate thought was, someone made a mistake, disbelief, then it occurred to us, well, if one is coming it's too late now, so we made coffee to wait, and just enjoy our remaining time in Hawaii! Where would we go?
Yes, it was sent out in error! I would imagine whomever pushed that button may not have the opportunity to push another. It frightened a good many people. I later asked some locals where they would go should it ever happen again and was told there is nowhere to go! I mean it's an island, how you going to get off in minutes?
It is Thursday of our first week here in Kailua Kona on Big Island, Hawaii. The plan for today was to drive out to the Queens Market at Waikaloa to find the 'Crocs' footwear store. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the clunky looking ones that are popular today so in the clearance section I did find a pair of the 'Z' ones I like for $29.00 so I'm happy. Even Barb found a pair of black sandals as well. Once we left there, I drove us up to Hamakauas Macadamia Nut Company in Kawaihae. I'd been a few times prior with other friends and family. It has changed a bit inside but they still provided samples of all the different flavours of coatings on the nuts so you can purchase the canned flavours you like. We liked a few! Hey! You can even get spam flavoured ones!! We watched a video of the process from tree to package. The factory wasn't working inside today to watch so perhaps it's off season for macs? At any rate we sat and a...
Comments