Coffee and Macadamias

I'm learning that some days my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be.  Take this morning for instance, I wanted to go find the Macy's store because I thought I remembered a. Where it was and b. That it had a section where I could find the brand, Fresh Produce which I quite like.  (Ladies dresses and such).  Well, firstly I didn't remember where it was and once we got there, after some backtracking and detours, it was depressing to see the huge parking lots and other stores up there empty or at least, shut down.  Macy's however was open, but it wasn't what I remembered so we browsed a bit and left.  No Fresh Produce!!   We grabbed some needed groceries and returned back to our condo for lunch.

I wanted to show Barb the Watusi cattle, the zebra and the donkey on the roadside farm down highway 11 towards the south end.  Off we went driving and driving and more driving.  No sign of them.  So, spotting some wind turbines, we turned right off the highway, onto South Point road, saw a sign indicating it was 12 miles down to where they are but a slight detour occurred when we saw a sign saying 'free coffee and sample macadamia nuts'.  We zipped around and drove down a driveway to Paradise Meadows farm.  I'd been there several years ago when they were in the early stages of building and planting.
The farm covers 75 acres and grows a variety of things including coffee, honey bees, citrus, vegetables, and all done in a sustainable ecosystem on the farm.  Look at the size of that lemon, and there were bananas on those trees….



There was a farm stand on the property at which a charming gal gave us samples of flavoured macadamia nuts.  Oh my!!  One could grab a sample of their coffee called Hawaiis Local Buzz!  We sampled many flavours of nuts, some chocolate covered and plain, and Mac flavoured shortbread cookies…yummy!  With bags of purchases on our arms we then went to look at some art, way too rich for my pocketbook and talked to some parrots outdoors in large cages, said hello to 'Penny' the free ranging pig, chatted up some Muscovy ducks and Guinea hens.  All in all a fun day!  

The farm itself is located on South Point Road which takes you to the southern most part of the United States!  Bet you didn't know that!  Even further south than FLorida! We never did drive down to the wind turbines!  

Oh by the way, we inquired about the Watusi cattle but were  told the owner became ill and had to sell them so they are no longer there.  How sad.   Anyway, this photo is from several years back.   Does anyone recall the Watusi dance craze from the 1960s?  I know, dating myself!  


Comments

Deanna said…
Sounds like you're having an adventurous, great time 😁

Popular posts from this blog

Kauai Hawaii

Feet keep on walking more shopping to do

Universal at Orlando